Hello everyone from Mumbai. Though the rains here have taken a back seat, Indian airlines are feeling the monsoon blues. With new promotions, cost-cutting efforts or even a new fare category, airlines are trying their best to fill up seats this lean travel period. Here is our weekly roundup for you to get all caught up.
Our Top Stories
Vistara has been making headlines all week with their new Lite fares. Say goodbye to free meals and Club Vistara tier points and hello to buy-on-board when you book Vistara Lite fares. Hope they have Starbucks coffee on the buy-on-board menu.
With conditions in the market not favouring Indian airlines and social media rife with speculation, read why we think your JPMiles are safe in these turbulent times and why airlines are not able to increase ticket prices as a response to these conditions.
- Vistara launches Vistara Lite: low fares with no meals
- Your JPMiles are safe, for now
- Catch 22: Why are Indian Airlines not able to raise fares.
Also, our roundup of ongoing hotel promotions for August 2018 is live. Make sure to check it out before you book your next hotel stay. Who knows, you might find a great promotion or deal you did not know of before.
News and Views
Vistara went live with selling Lite fares, two days after announcing them. Apart from the new fare category, their new wifi-streaming in-flight entertainment (IFE) also goes live this month. While Vistara is moving towards buy-on-board food, Air India is going towards serving you peanuts and biscuits on your next domestic flight. Jet Airways, on the other hand, is pumping it up by selling you cheap upgrades at the time of booking your flight on JetAirways.com. Oh, and good news! Very soon you may stop losing your boarding pass when electronic boarding passes may be enabled at Mumbai and Delhi airports.
- New Vistara Lite fares go live
- Vistara to roll out streaming IFE in August
- Air India will serve you peanuts on domestic flights
- Delhi will stop boarding pass stamping for GoAir passengers
- Jet Airways upselling discounted Premiere upgrades
- How Shipra earned 60,000 miles just from work travel in July 2018
Read what Rohini has to say about the Hilton Abu Dhabi after her stay there last month. The Hiltonia Beach Club and the breakfast were the highlights of the stay while the size of the room and wear & tear might make you want to explore other options.
- Hilton Abu Dhabi: 2.5/5
Cards and Rewards
Amex has temporarily stopped Membership Rewards transfers to Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) while Marriott puts together the new unified program. On the other hand, Radisson Rewards is offering members double points on qualified stays throughout August 2018.
- Hyatt sews up a partnership with Small Luxury Hotels
- Amex temporarily suspends Membership Rewards transfers to SPG
- Double Radisson Rewards points through August
- Citi Double Points on online spends today! [Expired]
- 50% off on Air India Flying Returns renewals through July 30 [Expired]
Deals with Appeal
Qatar Airways had an online sale offering discounted fares on their flights from India to the US starting from INR 55,000 for economy class and a 5% discount when you booked QSuites. If you missed it, don’t worry, we’ll get you more of these in the coming days.
And while we are on the topic of discounts, you may want to look at the Jet Airways ICICI Bank Sapphiro Credit Card, which is available half the usual price with 100% of the benefits. Happy reading and hope you have a great week ahead!