At LiveFromALounge, we have been trying to provide as much information about the repatriation efforts as quickly as we can.
- Air India’s Vande Bharat Phase 2 start May 19: Flights to 31 countries planned
- Are domestic flights resuming on May 15? Air India puts up flight on sale.
- Evacuation flights from India to Singapore / UK / USA / Bahrain / Qatar [bookable on Air India/Express]
- Details of Repatriation Flights to India from the UK
- Details of Repatriation Flights to India from the USA
- Details of Repatriation Flights to India from UAE
- Details of Repatriation Flights to India from Oman
- Here is how much money you need to pay to get on an evacuation flight to India
- Details of Repatriation Flights to India from Singapore
- Good News: India to organise repatriation flights to bring back Indians from May 7 onwards!
If you sift through these posts and my Twitter, you will note that there is increasing worry and frustration from many people about not being able to get home since March and being stuck in a different part of the country.
I keep receiving tonnes of messages and requests from people who are stuck in another city domestically and want to go back to their home towns. I guess we also need a round of domestic repatriation flights. @MoCA_GoI
— Ajay Awtaney (@LiveFromALounge) May 13, 2020
It seems there might be a solution to this in the coming days. As per a report published in the Times of India, Air India is considering operating special domestic flights between May 19 and June 2, 2020 as well, in conjunction with the planned second phase of the International repatriation flights that will be operated between these dates.
These flights seem to be organised to ensure connections to the international flights (feeder flights) that will be operated outward to India, and can/will also carry other passengers who may want to fly between these domestic sectors.
As per the news report,
A majority of the flights are from Delhi, Mumbai, Hyderabad and Bengaluru.
Delhi will have 173 flights, Mumbai 40, Hyderabad 25 and Kochi 12. Flights from Delhi will be operated to Jaipur, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Amritsar, Kochi, Ahmedabad, Vijayawada, Gaya, Lucknow and a few other cities. Air India will operate flights from Mumbai to Visakapatnam, Kochi, Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Hyderabad and Vijayawada. There are also flights from Hyderabad to Mumbai, Delhi and back. Bengaluru will have flights to Mumbai, Delhi and Hyderabad and an incoming flight from Bhubaneswar.
The said news report also refers to other airlines being allowed to operate some flights as well.
Let us hope that some sort of domestic aviation takes off again, with all airlines being given an opportunity to operate some flights in the coming days, at least to ensure people are able to get back home during this lockdown.