Virgin Atlantic has been running an aggressive Status Match campaign for British Airways’ Executive Club members for a few weeks now. However, there are a few changes, and also, the deadline for applying for a Status Match is fast approaching. So, it is an excellent time to remind you all.
Earlier in January 2021, Virgin Atlantic had announced a status match campaign only for British Airways Executive Club members, offering a direct 1:1 match if BA customers are planning to fly Virgin Atlantic in 2021. To get status matched, all one needs is a flight booking on Virgin Atlantic and a status on British Airways.
Here is how the status would be matched:
- British Airways Executive Club Bronze member: Flying Club Silver status for one year if you have a revenue or redemption flight booked in Premium or Upper Class
- British Airways Executive Club Silver member: Flying Club Silver status for one year if you have a revenue or redemption flight booked in any cabin.
- British Airways Executive Club Gold member: Flying Club Gold status for one year if you have a flight booked in any cabin
Virgin Atlantic has been offering to upgrade the status right away, and the new status would usually reflect within 48 hours. However, what if you did not want to fly anytime soon and perhaps only planned to fly in the second half of the year. So there is a better outcome now:
- You can now get your Virgin Atlantic status match and ask for your status to be upgraded immediately; or
- You can ask for your Virgin Atlantic status to be upgraded on the first of the month for your next Virgin Atlantic flight.
However, this choice needs to be made at the time of making the application. To apply for your Status Match, you need to head to this Virgin Atlantic Status Match page and provide the following information:
- Your Flying Club membership number
- Your British Airways Executive Club membership, with a photo or screenshot of your membership card
- Booking reference for your upcoming Virgin Atlantic flight (cash or redemption flights both work)
Virgin Atlantic is providing a set of two Clubhouse lounge passes for everyone who will be upgraded to Flying Club Silver (including existing members). This means, even Economy Class Virgin Atlantic flyers will be able to use the Clubhouse while flying from London Heathrow.
After your first year, your Virgin Atlantic status will need to be renewed on a rolling 12-month basis from the date it starts:
- Gold members will need to earn 1,000 tier points in the membership period to retain Gold status.
- Silver members will need to earn 400 tier points in the membership period to retain Silver status.
Silver members earn 30% more points on flights, premium check-in and boarding, as well as priority baggage. Apart from that, they get standard seat assignment free, including in Economy Light.
Virgin Atlantic Gold members earn 60% more points on flights, Upper Class check-in and priority boarding, and access to the airline’s Revival lounge on arrival at Heathrow. They also get free exit-row seating in Economy Classic and seat assignment for themselves and their party free. There is an additional baggage allowance of one extra piece each of cabin and check-in luggage.
Just remember, the Status Match offer closes on February 28, 2021. So if you are interested in taking part, don’t hold up too long. Head here to sign up for the status match.
Virgin Atlantic is making it simple to earn Virgin Status in 2021, which can then be useful on partner airlines such as KLM/Air France and Delta. You need to fly once to earn your status for 12 months. If you have a trip planned and can switch it to Virgin Atlantic, you have the status for a whole year.
Are you signing up for the Virgin Atlantic Status Match offer for BA clients?
Liked our articles and our efforts? Please pay an amount you are comfortable with; an amount you believe is the fair price for the content you have consumed. Please enter an amount in the box below and click on the button to pay; you can use Netbanking, Debit/Credit Cards, UPI, QR codes, or any Wallet to pay. Every contribution helps cover the cost of the content generated for your benefit.
(Important: to receive confirmation and details of your transaction, please enter a valid email address in the pop-up form that will appear after you click the ‘Pay Now’ button. For international transactions, use Paypal to process the transaction.)
We are not putting our articles behind any paywall where you are asked to pay before you read an article. We are asking you to pay after you have read the article if you are satisfied with the quality and our efforts.