Turkish Airlines, as a member of the Star Alliance, has started to status match members of the BMI Diamond Club program on the announcement of BMI getting sold to IAG (British Airways) and hence breaking away from the Star Alliance.
However, as it is now turning out, Turkish is also status matching into other alliances. As of today the following status matching is being done:
- Silver on another carrier (BD/Another alliance) –> TK Miles and Smiles Classic Plus (*A Silver)
- Gold on another carrier (BD/Another alliance) –> TK Miles and Smiles Elite (*A Gold)
- No status match to the Miles and Smiles Elite Plus (TK’s top tier)
Status is good for 2 years from the date of status match.
Requalification: Members outside Turkey need the following for requalification:
- 25000 Status Miles in 1st year or 37500 Status Miles in 1st and 2nd year for Keeping the *A Gold, else soft landing to *A Silver (for 2 years)
- 17000 Status Miles in 1st Year or 37000 Status miles in 1st and 2nd year for keeping the *A Silver.
You can also buy upto 10,000 Status Miles in the second year if you don’t think you will fulfil the criteria.
*A Gold Benefits: Come on, all of you know this, but I will still tell you again:
- Airport Lounge Access – available worldwide for you and a friend when you travel with any Star Alliance member airline, regardless of your class of travel.
- Priority Airport Check-in – allows you to check-in at the Business and/or First Class counter.
- Priority Boarding – enjoy the freedom of boarding at your convenience along with First and Business Class passengers.
- Extra Baggage Allowance – an additional 20 kg (44 pounds) where the weight concept applies, or one additional piece of luggage where the piece concept applies.
- Priority Baggage Handling – like you, your bags get priority treatment and are among the first to be unloaded.
- Priority Reservations Waitlisting – when there aren’t any seats left on your preferred flight, gives you priority should a seat become available.
- Priority Airport Standby – gives you top priority when standing-by a flight at the airport.
Overall, it is an upcoming program with much success at the Freddies 2012 (Program of the Year – Europe) and so looks like a lot of potential ahead. Also, one of the easiest programs to retain *A Gold. The program is also decently generous in terms of earning miles by flying on *A carriers. You can have a look at the charts here.
Take note that Turkish Airlines did not use to status match as a policy at a point of time, but seems that is set to change.
Here is how to request for the status match:
- Sign up for a Turkish Airlines M&S Account here.
- Send an email to email@example.com with a scan of your other airline FFP membership card and account statement (this is a requirement to receive both). You will need to make a case for them to look at you as a good case to status match into their program (a business case for them?)
- You should hear from them in a week to ten days about their ‘decision’ on your status match query.
All the best, and ping back for questions if any!
Live From A Lounge is also present on Facebook, Twitter and available via RSS.
[…] flights in a given time frame or on any *A flights? Pure match vs challenge and lasts two years: Turkish Airlines status matching up to Star Alliance Gold – Live From A Lounge Reply With Quote « Strange angry beaviour by some US men in […]