In 2020, LiveFromALounge first posted about Marriott starting to work on the launch of their cobranded card platform in India. While nothing much was said about it in the times, HDFC Bank and Marriott International are holding a joint event to launch the card this week. However, the details of the card are already out.
HDFC Bank to launch the Marriott co-branded card on the Diners Club Platform
HDFC Bank will become the first bank to launch a partnership with Marriott Bonvoy, making it the first co-branded credit card in India for a hospitality chain. And it amply suits Marriott to get there first, given its established track record in offering co-brand propositions in other parts of the world.
The Credit Card we know about is the Marriott Bonvoy HDFC Bank Diners Club International Credit Card. The Bank launched the Jet Airways co-branded card on the Diners Club Platform, and once upon a time, there was also conversation around an Emirates co-branded card coming on the platform. However, I hope there is more than one version of the card straddling different ends of the strata.
The Marriott Bonvoy HDFC Bank Diners Club card is an entry-level card that intends to bring more people into the Marriott Bonvoy fold. So it is simpleton in its approach towards the card to ensure many people sign up for it and start living the Bonvoy life.
- Annual Benefit: As a welcome gift and upon Card renewal, cardmembers receive 1 Free Night Award (valued at up to 15,000 points), valid for one year at hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy worldwide. However, you can use up to 15,000 Marriott Bonvoy Points to expand the value of this Free Night Award.
- Status: Marriott Bonvoy will confer Silver Elite Status on members who hold the card
- Elite Night Credit: Cardholders will get ten elite night credits per year.
- Earn 8 Marriott Bonvoy points/INR 150 spent on eligible purchases at hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy (excluding Homes and Villas) for monthly spending up to INR 10 Lakh.
- Earn 4 Marriott Bonvoy points/INR 150 spent on eligible purchases on travel, dining, and entertainment for up to INR 5 Lakh per month. Cardmembers who earn 8 Marriott Bonvoy Points per INR 150 for spend at participating Marriott Bonvoy properties and Marriott-branded properties will not earn an additional 4 Marriott Bonvoy Points per INR 150 under this earning category.
- Earn 2 Marriott Bonvoy points/INR 150 spent on all other eligible purchases (excludes spends on fuel, wallet reload and rental transactions)
- Milestone Benefits: Earn Up To 3 Additional Free Night Awards (valued up to 15,000 points) when you reach these spending thresholds with your Card within the Card anniversary year. However, you can use up to 15,000 Marriott Bonvoy Points to expand the value of these Free Night Awards.
- INR 6 lakh
- INR 9 lakh
- INR 15 lakh
- Other Travel & Lifestyle Benefits: Receive additional travel benefits, including membership in the Golf Program (2 times of access per quarter), airport lounge access (12 domestic and 12 international lounge access) and access to concierge services.
Marriott Bonvoy Points will not be accrued for the following product categories:
- Smart EMI / Dial an EMI transaction
- Wallet loads / Gift or Prepaid Card loads/ Voucher purchase
- Cash Advances
- Payment of Outstanding Balances
- Payment of card fees and other charges
- Government-related transactions and rental transactions
The Marriott Bonvoy HDFC Bank Diners Club card is an entry-level card intended to bring more people into the fold of Marriott Bonvoy in India, and for that, kudos to Marriott and HDFC Bank for looking out for the small guy where the numbers are, rather than the higher end cards which won’t get too many users. Although I hope there will be cards for the higher-end engaged members at the official launch as well. The card will cost INR 3,000 + GST per annum, at which price is a sweet deal as it brings in 10 Elite nights without much effort.
What do you make of the Marriott Bonvoy HDFC Bank Diners Club Credit Card?
Liked our articles and our efforts? Please pay an amount you are comfortable with; an amount you believe is the fair price for the content you have consumed. Please enter an amount in the box below and click on the button to pay; you can use Netbanking, Debit/Credit Cards, UPI, QR codes, or any Wallet to pay. Every contribution helps cover the cost of the content generated for your benefit.
(Important: to receive confirmation and details of your transaction, please enter a valid email address in the pop-up form that will appear after you click the ‘Pay Now’ button. For international transactions, use Paypal to process the transaction.)
We are not putting our articles behind any paywall where you are asked to pay before you read an article. We are asking you to pay after you have read the article if you are satisfied with the quality and our efforts.