As we wrote yesterday, Jet Airways suspended operations yesterday. Although the airline had stopped operating international flights weeks ago, cutting off flights to Amsterdam, London and Paris, which were their last operating stations.
Now, with Jet Airways out of the picture, there are many people who may have been travelling abroad but need to return to India. Ticket prices have skyrocketed, due to the reduced capacity available. For instance, London-Delhi tickets going for INR 80,000 one way at the moment. Last-minute fares are expensive, and one-way tickets more so.
Air India is now going to offer special fares to people who are stranded abroad and need to travel back to India. Air India is offering special fares on the following routes:
- Paris – Chennai
- London – Delhi
- London – Mumbai
- Singapore – Delhi
- Singapore – Mumbai
- Bangkok – Delhi
- Bangkok – Mumbai
- Hong Kong – Delhi
- Hong Kong – Mumbai
- Dubai – Delhi
- Dubai – Mumbai
- Muscat – Delhi
- Muscat – Mumbai
- Abu Dhabi – Mumbai
- Dammam – Delhi
- Jeddah – Mumbai
- Riyadh – Delhi
- Kathmandu – Delhi
- Dhaka – Kolkata
These fares are available for booking and travel till April 28, 2019, only, and only in Economy Class. You need a ticket with Jet Airways to be able to get these stranded fares.
- Tickets are only available on direct flights
- Tickets are only available in Economy Class
- Passengers need to head to the City Ticketing office or the Airport Ticketing office to get tickets issued
- You need a copy of your e-ticket, which needs to be rubber-stamped by Jet Airways to verify that it is a genuine ticket
- Air India will charge you a one-way fare of the H class RBD, which is one of their lowest discounted tickets
- Tickets can only be issued on these sectors above.
So, if you are a Jet Airways stranded passenger who wants to travel back home, you should be able to get your tickets for the cheap to get home. It is an excellent move by Air India, obviously funded by the Indian taxpayer and at the initiative of the Government of India, to fly back stranded Jet Airways passengers.
Do share your experience trying to get on one of these cheap fares on Air India if you got stranded.