Travel companies across the world are taking the initiative to make sure their customers do not feel lost, and they don’t lose their patronage when travel returns. To this effect, Delta made a big announcement on Delta Elite Status for 2020/2021. Here are some of the key measures they announced.
Delta Elite Status & Delta Sky Club extension by 12 months
Delta SkyMiles Medallion Members will enjoy the same loyalty benefits throughout 2021 as they have in 2020. Delta states, “The 12-month Status extension is part of Delta’s work to offer greater flexibility as coronavirus impacts travel plans, so customers can rest assured their Status will be there when they’re ready to fly.”
As per Delta, the following updates will happen automatically over the coming weeks, with no action needed from customers.
- Medallion Members:
- All Medallion Status for 2020 will be automatically extended for the 2021 Medallion Year.
- All Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) from 2020 are being rolled over to 2021 to qualify for 2022 Medallion Status.
- Delta Sky Club Individual and Executive memberships with an expiration of March 1, 2020, or later will receive six additional months of Delta Sky Club access beyond their expiration date.
Apart from that, Delta is also extending benefits for SkyMiles members. If you have one of the following in your SkyMiles profile “My Wallet” that is valid now or has expired since March 1, 2020, Delta is extending the expiration dates:
- Upgrade Certificates or $200 Travel Vouchers with an original expiration date between March 1 and June 30, 2020, are extended – now, they can be booked and flown by December 31, 2020. And, SkyMiles Members with Upgrade Certificates or $200 Travel Vouchers that expire after June 30, 2020, will receive an additional six months beyond the current expiration date.
- SkyMiles Select members will receive a six-month extension to the Priority Boarding benefit and any unused drink vouchers.
SkyMiles Members enrolled in a challenge or promotion to earn Medallion Status, such as the Status Match Challenge, Reclaim My Status or promotion offered through their employer, can restart that promotion when they are ready to travel again. Those Members will receive next steps from Delta in the coming weeks.
Delta SkyMiles Amex extension by 12 months
Not just that, Delta is taking care of its US cobranded cardmembers as well. Many of the benefits credited to Delta SkyMiles American Express cardmembers will be extended by six months to one year. If you have one of the following in your SkyMiles profile “My Wallet” that is valid now or has expired since March 1, 2020, Delta is extending the expiration dates:
- Delta SkyMiles Gold Card Members with a $100 Delta flight credit will get a six-month extension beyond their current expiration date.
- Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card Members with Companion Certificates with an original expiration date between March 1 and June 30, 2020, can use them when they book and fly by December 31, 2020, and those that expire between July 1, 2020, and April 1, 2021, will receive an additional six months beyond the current expiration date.
- Delta SkyMiles Reserve Card Members with Companion Certificates with an original expiration date between March 1 and June 30, 2020, can use them when they book and fly by December 31, 2020, and those that expire between July 1, 2020, and April 1, 2021, will receive an additional six months beyond the current expiration date.
- Delta SkyMiles Reserve Card Members will also get a six-month extension to use their Delta Sky Club One-Time Guest Passes beyond their current expiration date.
You have to give it to Delta to do what is the right thing. Just like Hilton and Hyatt, they are offering status extension across the board. It means they take a hit on their bottom line to ensure people don’t start booking flights the minute they can, as they don’t have to worry about status requalification anymore.
Liked our articles and our efforts? Please pay an amount you are comfortable with; an amount you believe is the fair price for the content you have consumed. Please enter an amount in the box below and click on the button to pay; you can use Netbanking, Debit/Credit Cards, UPI, QR codes, or any Wallet to pay.
(Important: to receive confirmation and details of your transaction, please enter a valid email address in the pop-up form that will appear after you click the ‘Pay Now’ button. Even though the amount you enter has to be in INR, you may use an international card to process the transaction.)
We are not putting our articles behind any paywall where you are asked to pay before you read an article. We are asking you to pay after you have read the article if you are satisfied with the quality and our efforts.