American Express has been expanding the ambit of the card acceptance over time in India. Earlier in the year, they announced promotions to offer double points for Educational Institution Spends, giving away free cards, giving bonus points for Supplementary Card issuance and 10X points on Insurance spends. Now, there is another one on offer, the Amex Petrol Offer for those fuel payments on your American Express Cards.
Amex Petrol Offer: 10X Membership Rewards Points
To promote their reach in the fuel segment, there is a new Amex Petrol Offer, offering bonus Membership Rewards points for paying Fuel expenses on their proprietary Credit Cards and Charge Cards between June 15, 2019, and September 30, 2019. Only the following cards, issued in India, are eligible for this offer:
- American Express Gold Card (10 MR/INR 100)
- American Express Platinum Reserve Credit Card (10 MR/INR 100)
- American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card (10 MR/INR 100)
- American Express Membership Rewards Credit Card (10 MR/INR 100)
- Everyday Spend American Express Gold Credit Card
The promotion is targeted and hence you need to have received an email from American Express to be able to use this offer. The interesting part is, Amex usually offers no Membership Rewards points for fuel spends. The minimum spend is INR 1000 to get the offer. The maximum spends for the cards which earn 10 MR/INR 100 and hence this promotion seems to be capped at INR 10,000. Here are the complete T&C.
The key terms of the promotion are as follows:
- Cardmember to make fuel transactions of INR 1,000 or more during the offer period on their eligible American Express Card (including the transactions on linked Supplementary Card(s)) and get 10 Membership Rewards Points for every INR100 spent.
- The Membership Rewards Points that can be earned under this offer are capped at 1,000 Membership Rewards Points.
- The offer is valid only on first 5 eligible fuel transactions of INR 1,000 and above.
- The offer is valid only on Fuel transactions, i.e., transactions taken on purchase of fuel from retail outlets of the Oil Marketing Companies.
Membership Rewards points are being given under this offer and will not earn any regular points, and after the offer ends Cardmembers will stop getting any Membership Rewards Points on Insurance spends. The Bonus Membership Rewards Points will get credited to Cardmember’s account by November 30, 2019.
American Express is also offering a 0.75% cashback on all fuel transactions made during this period with IOCL, HPCL and BPCL, presumably to offset the convenience fee charged on fuel transactions with credit cards.
If you don’t hold an American Express credit card, right now is the best time to get one to be targetted for future offers. The following cards are being issued free by American Express when using these exclusive links:
It is fantastic when you can earn miles for stuff that you are already going to have to do, such as topping off your car. But when you are going to get 10X points to do that, it is all the more reason to do so. Amex is really out there to get members to get used to using their cards for more categories this year, and this seems a very good one.
Which American Express Card are you going to use this quarter to pay for your fuel?