One of the ongoing offers for American Express customers around the globe is one year of free Calm Premium subscription. I know this has been written about before, but there is significant confusion about who all are eligible, so updating it to put all the questions to rest.
What is Calm?
Calm is a meditation, sleep and relaxation app, available in both the App Store and Google Play store. It is one of the top-rated apps in the category, and one I love over some of the competition such as Headspace. Calm Premium unlocks a full library of meditations, stories, music, and other features. You can access everything through the Calm mobile app, available on iOS and Android as well as the website. The premium subscription includes:
- An original Daily Calm every day
- Hours of guided meditations covering sleep, anxiety, stress, gratitude and much more
- An entire library of more than 120 Sleep Stories, with new stories, added every week.
- Exclusive music tracks for Focus, Relaxation, and Sleep
- Masterclasses featuring world-renowned mindfulness experts
The Calm Premium Offer
American Express and Calm tied up for a US-based tie-up to offer a free 1-year subscription to all American Express cardholders, which has now been extended globally as of August 19, 2020. American Express cardmembers globally have been offered the opportunity to get one year of free Calm Premium subscription, and the second year at 50% off. From a pricing perspective, this is a valuable perk to have if you intend to use it, as it costs USD 59.55/ INR 2949.
Which Cardmembers Qualify?
American Express has not just included their proprietary cards, but also the network cards in this offer now (which means cards which ride on the American Express network but issued by other banks).
- USA: You must have a U.S. Consumer American Express Card, American Express Card issued in the U.S. by a third party (excluding Puerto Rico) or the U.S. American Express Corporate Card.
- India: All Personal American Express Cards issued by American Express Banking Corp, ICICI Bank Sapphiro American Express Credit Card and ICICI Bank Emeralde American Express Credit Card issued by ICICI Bank, IndusInd Bank Celesta American Express Credit Card issued by IndusInd Bank.
- Argentina: All Personal American Express Cards issued by American Express Argentina S.A., American Express Santander Black issued by Banco Santander, American Express Galicia Black issued by Banco Galicia, American Express Macro Selecta Black issued by Banco Macro, American Express Patagonia Black issued by Banco Patagonia and American Express .re Black issued by Rebanking.
- Canada: All Personal Canadian American Express Cards issued by Amex Bank of Canada
- Chile: The Platinum Card®, WorldMember Limited LATAM Pass American Express Card, WorldMember LATAM Pass American Express Card issued by Banco Santander and The Platinum Card® and Black American Express Card issued by Banco Itaú
- Colombia: The Platinum Card® and The American Express® Green Card issued by Bancolombia and One Rewards American Express® Platinum Card, One Rewards American Express® Black Card issued by Scotiabank Colpatria.
- Costa Rica: The Platinum Card®, American Express Platinum, LifeMiles Elite, AAdvantage Prestige, Cashback Premium, Millas Plus Black, INCAE issued by BAC Credomatic.
- Dominican Republic: The Platinum Card®, Casa de Campo Platinum issued by Scotiabank Republica Dominicana, S.A. Banco Multiple.
- Ecuador: The Platinum Card® and the AAdvantage Black American Express® Card issued by Banco Guayaquil
- El Salvador: The Platinum Card®, American Express Platinum, LifeMiles Elite, Advantage Prestige, Millas Plus Black, INCAE issued by BAC Credomatic
- Guatemala: The Platinum Card®, American Express Platinum, LifeMiles Elite, AAdvantage Prestige, Millas Plus Black, INCAE issued by BAC Credomatic
- Honduras: The Platinum Card®, American Express Platinum, LifeMiles Elite, AAdvantage Prestige, Millas Plus Black, INCAE issued by BAC Credomatic
- Hong Kong: All Personal American Express Cards issued by American Express International
- International Dollar Cards & International Euro Cards
- Indonesia: The Platinum Card issued by Bank Danamon and The Platinum Card issued by Bank Central Asia
- Israel: El Al Fly Card Premium American Express Card, The American Express Card (Green), The American Express Gold Card, The Platinum Card and The Centurion SM Card issued by Bank Hapoalim
- Japan: All Personal American Express Cards issued by American Express International, Inc
- Malaysia: The Platinum Card, The American Express Platinum Credit Card and Maybank 2 Cards Reserve American Express issued by Maybank.
- Mexico: All Personal American Express Cards issued by American Express Bank (México) and The Santander Legacy American Express Credit Card issued by Santander Mexico.
- Nicaragua: LifeMiles Elite, AAdvantage Prestige, American Express Platinum, American Express Black, INCAE issued by BAC Credomatic
- Panama: The Platinum Card, ConnectMiles Black, Life Miles Elite and Advantage Prestige issued by BAC Credomatic
- Paraguay: The Platinum Card issued by Banco Itaú Paraguay
- Peru: LATAMPass Black American Express Card issued by Banco de Credito del Peru., American Express Black Card and The Platinum Card issued by InterBank
- Philippines: The Platinum Card and The American Express Platinum Credit Card issued by BDO Unibank, Inc
- Puerto Rico: Banco Popular American Express The Black Card issued by Banco Popular (Popular, Inc.)
- Singapore: All Consumer American Express Cards issued by American Express International Inc. and DBS Treasures Black Elite Card issued by DBS Bank
- South America: The American Express Platinum Card and The American Express Centurion Card issued by Nedbank
- Turkey: The American Express Platinum Credit Card and The American Express Centurion Charge Card issued by Garanti BBVA
- Uruguay: The Platinum Card issued by Scotiabank Uruguay S.A.
- All Personal American Express Cards issued in Australia, Austria, Belgium, United Kingdom, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, Thailand, Netherlands, New Zealand.
How to Sign up?
To sign up for the complimentary first year under the Amex Calm App offer, you need to create or access your Calm account from the website. For US-issued cards, they need to go to calm.com/americanexpress to sign up, and others need to head out to calm.com/americanexpressglobal to register for this promotion. The offer is valid until December 31, 2020.
This is an excellent partnership between American Express and Calm, which is undoubtedly topical in times such as these where many people would be trying to meditate or keep their calm one way or another. You can get the first year free as long as you have one of the many listed cards above, and the second year comes to you at half off.
Would you sign up for the Amex Calm App promotion and claim your free year? Very interested to hear how many people take up on this offer.
Liked our articles and our efforts? Please pay an amount you are comfortable with; an amount you believe is the fair price for the content you have consumed. Please enter an amount in the box below and click on the button to pay; you can use Netbanking, Debit/Credit Cards, UPI, QR codes, or any Wallet to pay. Every contribution helps cover the cost of the content generated for your benefit.
(Important: to receive confirmation and details of your transaction, please enter a valid email address in the pop-up form that will appear after you click the ‘Pay Now’ button. For international transactions, use Paypal to process the transaction.)
We are not putting our articles behind any paywall where you are asked to pay before you read an article. We are asking you to pay after you have read the article if you are satisfied with the quality and our efforts.