Over the past couple of years, one of the newest cards that have been getting a space in my pocket has been the American Express Membership Rewards Credit Card. There have been more than one reasons to bring along this card on my wallet, and I thought after using it for about two years, I could now review this card for the benefit of our readers. Here is an American Express Membership Rewards Credit Card Review India.
The American Express Membership Rewards Credit Card is essentially the Credit Card version of the American Express Gold Charge Card. The Credit Card version comes with a pre-set spending limit and the charge card version does not have a published spending limit, although your payment capability continuously is assessed and Amex will give you a higher ability to pay on the card when you have some established patterns and history on the card.
The American Express Membership Rewards Credit Card is an entry-level credit card, currently being offered free for the first year, which is where I started to look into getting around to add another card to my wallet. The Card offers 2 Membership Rewards points per INR 100 spent on the card, which when transferred to an airline partner converts into one mile usually.
Here are some features of the card:
- American Express Offers: American Express has been offering bonus points and spend based offers for their members for many years now, but in 2019, American Express consolidated their offers and started to put them on the website. I see this card being frequently targetted for promotions such as X-Spend Y-Points and so on.
- Membership Rewards earning: American Express Membership Rewards points are very popular as a currency for miles and points earners, given the ability to transfer to nine frequent flyer programmes and two hotel programmes. Just like many other base-level cards, American Express offers one MR for every INR 50 spent on the card, excluding spending on Fuel, Insurance, Utilities and Cash Transactions.
- 1000 Bonus Membership Rewards every month: The card offers you 1000 bonus Membership Rewards every month, simply for making at least 4 transactions worth INR 1,000 every month. That makes it 12,960 Membership Rewards in no time, assuming you only spent INR 1000 x 4 every month for 12 months.
- 2 Supplementary Cards at no cost
- Double points under Reward Multiplier: American Express in 2020, launched the Reward Multiplier website, where you can buy through this proprietary portal and earn even more Membership Reward Points. Some of the brands on this Reward Multiplier website include Amazon, Flipkart, Apple, Tanishq, Mark & Spencers and Croma.
Like I mentioned above, these MR then transfer to 9 partner airlines, two hotel programmes and one generic programme:
- Emirates: 2 MR=1 Skywards mile
- Etihad: 2 MR = 1 Etihad Guest Mile
- Vistara: 3 MR = 1 Club Vistara Point
- Virgin Atlantic: 2 MR = 1 Flying Club mile
- Cathay Pacific: 2 MR = 1 Asia Miles
- British Airways: 2 MR = 1 Avios
- Finnair: 2 MR = 1 Finnair Plus Mile
- Qatar Airways: 2 MR = 1 Privilege Club Mile
- Singapore Airlines: 2 MR = 1 KrisFlyer Mile
Apart from this, you can also transfer Membership Rewards points to two hotel programmes:
- Marriott: 1 MR = 1 Marriott Bonvoy Point
- Hilton: 1 MR = 0.9 Hilton Honors Point
You can also transfer your Membership Rewards to InterMiles at the rate of 2 MR = 1 InterMile.
The reason I’ve taken to using this card regularly has been the ease with I’ve been able to earn Membership Rewards points for very little effort. From my use of this card every month, I easily end up earning 1,000 Membership Rewards point, which gets consolidated in my Membership Rewards account at American Express, with all the other MR I earn from my other cards as well.
You can also use the Membership Rewards for redeeming from the 18 Karat and 24 Karat Gold Collections as well. The 24K Gold Collection offers Taj vouchers worth INR 14,000 for redeeming 24,000 points, making it a great value at INR 0.58 per MR redeemed.
For the moment, the American Express Membership Rewards Credit Card is being offered free of charge when you apply via this link. You also get 4,000 bonus Membership Rewards points for the first INR 5,000 spent within first 90 days of card membership. So, for a year, if you just swiped INR 1000 four times on this card, you can get 16,960 Membership Rewards (12,000 + 4,000 + 960).
Even on a standalone basis, these approximately 17,000 Membership Rewards points are good for at least two nights (3 in off-peak season) at many Marriott Hotels in India, in the following cities:
Just by waiting for the right offers to come by, I was also able to maximise the utilisation of the Membership Rewards, however, transferring them to Marriott and Hilton late 2019 when a 50% transfer bonus offer was revealed. Another thing to note is Emirates, Marriott and Hilton are exclusive transfer partners with American Express in India, so you can’t earn these points by transferring any other currency to these programmes in India.
The other use of the Membership Rewards Points earned is for statement credit or for buying something from the catalogue of American Express. Here is how much the points are worth for statement credit:
- 18,000 MR: INR 6,000 Statement Credit (INR 0.33/MR)
- 24,000 MR: INR 9,000 Statement Credit (INR 0.37/MR)
The best part of using our link for the American Express Membership Rewards Credit Card is that the fee offered for the second year is just INR 1,500 which is 66% off on the usual annual fee of INR 4,500. If you spend INR 90K in any given year, 50% of the fee is taken off, and when you spend INR 1.5 Lakhs on the card, the complete fee is taken off the card.
Remember, American Express allows for one proprietory and one charge card in one go, so you can add on the American Express Gold Charge Card along and get another 1000 bonus MR every month on spending at least INR 6,000.
What is your take on the American Express Membership Rewards Credit Card?
American Express Membership Rewards Credit Card Review India
Liked our articles and our efforts? Please pay an amount you are comfortable with; an amount you believe is the fair price for the content you have consumed. Please enter an amount in the box below and click on the button to pay; you can use Netbanking, Debit/Credit Cards, UPI, QR codes, or any Wallet to pay. Every contribution helps cover the cost of the content generated for your benefit.
(Important: to receive confirmation and details of your transaction, please enter a valid email address in the pop-up form that will appear after you click the ‘Pay Now’ button. For international transactions, use Paypal to process the transaction.)
We are not putting our articles behind any paywall where you are asked to pay before you read an article. We are asking you to pay after you have read the article if you are satisfied with the quality and our efforts.