Avios was formed a year back, and that is when British Airways switched to this new mileage currency. Now, to celebrate a year of the switch, Avios is offering a discount of 25% on long-haul redemptions on the British Airways and Iberia network, in all their cabins (economy, business and first). While Iberia is not servicing India, British Airways serves quite a few bases in India, including Mumbai, Delhi and Bangalore.
Now, British Airways is known for passing on the high fuel surcharges on their flights to the passengers. However, a 25% discount should make you feel better. So, BOM-LHR is 25,000 Avios + Taxes/Fuel Surcharge in Y. However, the lesser redemption value would show up as 18,750 Avios + Taxes/Fuel Surcharge, already including the discount into the redemption value displayed.
Long Haul redemptions means, if you had to go to Manchester, BOM-LHR would get 25% discount, but the MAN-LHR segment would be redeemed on full miles. However, if you need to go BOM-LHR-NYC, then on both your segments, you will get the 25% discount.
If you’re planning a trip on British Airways using your Avios, the next six days are the best time to redeem them, with redemption discounts valid for travel up to 31 May 2013. However, you can only book till 19 November 2012 using the 25% discount.
You can find more details here, and the official Terms & Conditions are below:
- You will receive a 25% discount on flight bookings paid for in full Avios and also bookings paid for in Avios & Money.
- For the avoidance of doubt, the 25% discount applies to the Avios only.
- Upgrades after booking are not included in this offer and will not have the 25% discount applied.
- 25% discount does not apply to the taxes, fees and charges which are payable in full on all bookings.
- Taxes, fees and charges shown are estimated and will be higher in other cabins.
- Flights depart London.
- Flights are subject to Avios terms and conditions.
- Bookings must be made between 14/11/12 & 19/11/12 for travel between 14/11/12 & 31/05/13.
- Some flights may have no availability or have very limited availability, particularly during peak periods and periods of high demand.
- The 25% Avios discount on reward flights is only available on British Airways and Iberia operated flights and codeshare flights.
- Flights to and from zones 1, 2 and 3 are not included in this offer, even if the flight is connecting onto a zone 4 and above flight.
- This promotion cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer or promotion.
If you are short on Avios, you could be transferring some of your Amex MR or your Citibank PremierMiles for a 30% bonus. I haven’t transferred any as yet, so I am not sure of the time it takes for the bonus 30% to credit to the Avios account. Even if the bonus does not come through before November 19, you could always use it for a later flight. However, the original miles would usually post within 24-48 hours.
- BA switches from BA Miles to Avios Points as its loyalty currency from November 2011
- Citibank PremierMiles offers 30% transfer bonus on British Airways Avios & 20% on Etihad Guest miles
- American Express offering 30% bonus on transfer to Avios (British Airways!)