The HDFC Bank 10X Reward Points for the Smartbuy programme were rumoured to be over in March 2019, and instead, a new 5X Rewards Points programme was implemented for a very brief moment. Then, the 10X Rewards programme was brought back for April 2019 and then renewed for May 2019.
Now, historically, HDFC Bank always does a filler one-month promotion at the turn of the financial year, which is perhaps what we saw launched the last couple of months. Last night, I wrote about the 10X promotion which turned up on the Diners Club website, but it was not entirely the complete information. So, here it goes.
At the stroke of midnight, the new HDFC Bank 10X promotion was posted out. Unlike the last years where the rules were the same for all cards, and the value changed only for the points per card, the new Smartbuy 10X promotion has now made it a promotion which is different for different products. This is now shown with the new banner for the 10X Reward points promotion.
When you click through to the promotion, you would see, the HDFC 10X Smartbuy promotion has the date of June 2019 for now. Unlike earlier, the 10X promotion is now only limited to Infinia, Diners Club cards and the Regalia card. Everyone else gets 5% cashback.
That means you could earn 10X points for the following activities with HDFC SmartBuy here on:
- Flight Booking
- Hotel Booking
- Shopping via Flipkart and Amazon
- Comparison shopping via the SmartBuy website
Different credit cards now, however, have a different ceiling on the number of points you can earn.
- Infinia has a ceiling of earning
15,00025,000 HDFC Reward Points per month.
- Diners Club Black cards have a ceiling of earning 15,000 HDFC Reward Points per month.
- Other Diners Club/ Regalia cards have a ceiling of earning 5,000 HDFC Reward points per month.
- Other Credit/Debit cards will get a 5% cashback, capped at INR 1,000 per month.
Also, with respect to EMIs, the whole look out has changed. Now, Smartbuy 10X is applicable only for EMI Transactions (on flights / Hotels / Flipkart store) on Infinia or Diners Club or Regalia only. Not applicable on EMI transactions on any other card.
The promotion has been significantly watered down now. So, primarily, the Smartbuy site can now be used in the following manner to maximise the promotion:
- Infinia: Maximum Spend of
INR 50,000INR 83,333 at Smartbuy will get you 15,00025,000 bonus Reward Points in June 2019 at the rate of 33% cashback (30% bonus and 3% regular, each point earned is INR 1)
- Diners Club Black: Maximum Spend of
INR 16,667INR 50,000 at Smartbuy will get you 5,00015,000 bonus Reward Points in June 2019 at the rate of 33% cashback (30% bonus and 3% regular, each point earned is INR 1)
- Diners Club Miles/Premium/Regalia: Maximum Spend of INR 20,835 at Smartbuy will get you 5,000 bonus Reward Points in June 2019 at the rate of 12% cashback (Each point earned is INR 0.5)
- Diners Club Rewardz: Maximum Spend of INR 27,779 at Smartbuy will get you 5,000 bonus Reward Points in June 2019 at the rate of 6% cashback (Each point earned is INR 0.3)
I don’t fault them for this, given the programme was too lucrative to be true in the first place.
So, if you were wondering, the age of devaluations is here upon us. What do you think about this new move from HDFC Bank Credit Cards?