When it comes to the recent promotions, American Express has been ahead of the curve, making it a point to engage with their cardmembers via various promotions such as the double points on Platinum tier credit cards and every day spend offer and Double Points offer for most cardmembers. Just recently, they also launched the utility payment offer which gets you up to 3,000 points per month on utilities spend, which is otherwise a non-earning category. Not just that, American Express also entered the education spend category recently, offering 3X points for a limited time.
Now, American Express has decided to take on the HDFC Smartbuy and give their members another opportunity to earn more Membership Rewards points. The new feature launched is called American Express Reward Multiplier and can be accessed here.
The American Express Reward Multiplier is primarily a shopping portal which allows you to earn more reward points when you pass through the portal to your desired shopping site. The points on offer differ per card variant.
- American Express Platinum Card: 5X Points (1X Basic/INR 40 + 4X Bonus)
- American Express Platinum Reserve Credit Card: 3X Points (1X Basic/INR 50 + 2X Bonus)
- American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card: 3X Points (1X Basic/INR 50 + 2X Bonus)
- American Express Gold Card: 2X Points (1X Basic/INR 50 + 1X Bonus)
- American Express Membership Rewards Credit Card: 2X Points (1X Basic/INR 50 + 1X Bonus)
- American Express SmartEarn Credit Card and all other Cards issued by American Express: 2X Points (1X Basic/INR 50 + 1X Bonus)
The portal excludes all Corporate Cards and Cobrand Cards from earning more points. American Express will allow you to make up to 25,000 bonus Membership Rewards points per month with the Reward Multiplier.
Which brands does American Express Reward Multiplier allow me to earn Bonus MR on?
The American Express Reward Multiplier portal is accessible using this link, although I would hope they make its website soon. Currently, the following brands are on board:
- Beauty & Wellness
- The Body Shop
- The Man Company
- My Protein
- Harman Audio
- Food & Beverages
- Online learning
- Alt Balaji
- Digital Books & Magazines
- Times Prime (Use code TP026)
- Flowers & Gifting
- Ferns and Petals
How does Rewards Multiplier Work?
Before you shop, you need to click through the link from the Reward Multiplier website, which takes you to a screen like this.
After you click on any merchant offers listed on Reward Multiplier, you will proceed by following the steps mentioned below for validation:
- You will proceed by entering your card number and date of birth as credentials sought in the respective fields.
- It is your sole responsibility to ensure that you enter your correct credentials and use the same card number at the time of making the transaction at the merchant website.
Bonus MR Points would be offered only for transactions that are done through Reward Multiplier. Purchases that are done directly on the merchant’s website would not be eligible for Bonus MR Points. American Express recommends the following steps to ensure your tracking works appropriately:
- You should clear your browsers cookies/cache before logging.
- You should enable cookies in your browser settings.
- You should ensure that you start shopping with an empty cart;
- You should ensure that you are not using incognito or private browsing mode;
- You should not open any other coupon or price comparison sites in the same browser after being redirected from Reward Multiplier to the merchant’s website/platform.
Any transaction deemed as non-genuine or invalid by the merchant shall not qualify for a credit of Bonus MR Points.
The credit of Bonus Membership Rewards Points
The base Membership Rewards points earnt (1X) on any transaction shall be governed by the product-specific membership rewards construct and membership rewards terms and conditions. The Bonus Membership Rewards points will be added to your account after authentication between Amex and the platform you bought from, within 120 days of the transaction.
The potential earning is listed below.
Categories that don’t earn bonus MR
However, some categories don’t earn any points, and you should always check out the current list before purchasing if it is eligible or not. Here is the current list of products that don’t earn Membership Rewards.
On first looks, this is an excellent move from American Express to reward their loyal userbase. The Reward Multiplier is not a promotion but a feature, so this will go on till American Express withdraws this feature. This is another great way for American Express Cardmembers to earn points on their ongoing e-commerce activities and for them to reward their members for their spends at home.
What do you think of the launch of the American Express Reward Multiplier?
Liked our articles and our efforts? Please pay an amount you are comfortable with; an amount you believe is the fair price for the content you have consumed. Please enter an amount in the box below and click on the button to pay; you can use Netbanking, Debit/Credit Cards, UPI, QR codes, or any Wallet to pay. Every contribution helps cover the cost of the content generated for your benefit.
(Important: to receive confirmation and details of your transaction, please enter a valid email address in the pop-up form that will appear after you click the ‘Pay Now’ button. Even though the amount you enter has to be in INR, you may use an international card to process the transaction.)
We are not putting our articles behind any paywall where you are asked to pay before you read an article. We are asking you to pay after you have read the article if you are satisfied with the quality and our efforts.
[…] American Express launched Rewards Multiplier, a proprietary portal which grants you bonus Membership Rewards points for your purchases made via the Amex portal in 2020. […]